[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu CNR deal

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Feb 12 14:21:21 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:33:16AM +0000, alan c wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 08:25 +0000, alan c wrote:
> >> I have had no problem with automatix or with easy ubuntu.
> >
> > How many machines have you install automatix and all the gumpf
>
> what gumpf?

The stuff that automatix installs.

> > and then
> > upgraded to the next release using update manager? In the past this has
> > been the bit that has bitten quite a few people.
>
> I find it is most convenient to use the facilities such as automatix -
> wonderful.

Convenience is only one part of administering a computer. For example it's more convenient to put a sticky label
next to your computer with your password written on it. Not secure, not sensible, not the best way to do it, but
it ticks the "convenience" box admirably.

> I invariably go to the next release by a new install, it is quick and
> very easy.

But then you have to go through the installation of all the supplemental applications again, and reconfigure
everything all over again. That is far from quick/easy.

Cheers,
Al.