[ubuntu-uk] gimp

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:31:01 GMT 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 18:26 +0000, Caroline Ford wrote:
>
>> If you are running with kde libraries installed I'd recommend krita the
>> kde bitmap editor as well.
>>
>> I really think the gimp is being oversold by the community in general.
>> It is very badly designed and doesn't do 32 bit colour. The lack of 32
>> bit colour led to the development of cinepaint, and the design problems
>> are notorious. I read an online lecture on usability and all the
>> examples of bad practice came from the gimp..
>>

> Maybe pimping GIMPshop [0] might be better - albeit not perfect?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop

I've not run it but I know it's on the MOTU's to do list - which is on
the wiki somewhere. I think it is based on an older version of the gimp
- and I'm not sure it's maintained anymore.

I have high expectations for Krita - it seems to be coming on in leaps
and bounds. I also  love Inkscape  - so I'm not saying it's all doom and
gloom by any means.

(MOTU = Masters of the Universe, the repository which contains programs
that aren't in main)

Caroline (secretlondon)