[ubuntu-uk] Fw: Mp3 to Ogg Conversion

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Dec 19 03:41:53 GMT 2007

On 19/12/07 03:08:51, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> - You can then change the options in the gstreamer pipeline to whatever you
> want.

Just realised that I didn't actually say what to change in the gstreamer
pipeline :)

For vorbis there will be a section of the pipeline something like: "vorbisenc
name=enc quality=0.5". The quality option is what you want to change there.
Higher numbers give better quality, but also bigger file sizes.

For mp3 there will be a pipeline stage similar to: "lame name=enc mode=0 vbr-
quality=6" I'd recommend sticking with the vbr-quality option and using
variable bit rate [1]. Here the numbers are from 0 to 9 with 0 being the best
quality and 9 being the worst.

If you want any other info about the options available for these (or any
other) gstreamer plugins you can use the gst-inspect command in a terminal,
e.g. "gst-inspect lame" gives details about the lame plugin for mp3 encoding.

[1] if you want constant bit rate swap the vbr-quality=x option for
bitrate=xxx