[ubuntu-uk] Cant run RealPLayer 10

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:22:45 GMT 2007

alan c wrote:
<snip>

> It was that experience which party decided me to only use things I
> could install  via synaptic, and further, to stay with mplayer (FOSS)
> even though the functions and gui is not as good.

Because of similar nightmares I now use aptitude routinely, and try only
to install from debs from repositories.  Aptitude seems to keep track of
dependencies better than synaptic, so you can <sudo aptitude remove
'packagename'>, and, better yet, when things get bad <sudo aptitude
purge 'packagename'>, which gets rid of pretty much everything including
configuration files.

I understand aptitude's now the preferred method for .debs;  I wonder
how many of us use it, and whether there are any issues with it (though
can't say I've experienced any).

Mac