[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu viral videos

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:43:50 BST 2007

Hi folks,

I've been bashing this idea around on the mailing list for a bit, but
thought I'd come and shout about it here to in case I'd missed anyone
;-)

The idea is to raise the brand awareness of Ubuntu by using the power
of viral marketing. We'd like to create something like the
www.firefoxflicks.com project, but for Ubuntu.

Contributors will be able to submit short films advertising Ubuntu
where they will then be voted upon by site visitors.

Are you interested in helping?

At the moment, we're not looking for people who want to make videos
(that'll come when the project is up and running). Just now it'd be
nice to get people involved in getting something together which allows
other people submit their videos to us.

So, what can you do?

At the moment we have an offer from a couple of youtube.com like video
sites who will help us to host the videos, so hosting is pretty much
covered. What we need is

1) Techies.  A front end which we can use to showcase the videos on
like ubuntuvideo.com, and to display info to people on how they can
get involved.

2) Ambassadors. Liasing with organisations like Universities and
Colleges to invite them to submit create and submit videos.

3) Advocates. Are you a social networking ubermeister? As we get up
and running we'll need help spreading the word.

4) Marketing wizards. We need help creating guidance for project submissions.

5) Anything else. If you've thought of something I've missed, then
please tell me!

Get in touch!

Please add your name to the wiki page (displayed below) if you are
involved in/want to be involved in the ubuntu viral videos project.
You can also get in touch via the marketing mailing list,
#ubuntu-viral-videos on IRC (freenode.net) and of course by using the
wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/UbuntuViralVideos

I believe we that if this idea is executed properly, that it can
definately make a difference. We need you!

Cheers

Chris