[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Fun day event was Leaflets

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Aug 17 20:43:31 BST 2007

Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com>:
>

>>> I'll post feedback on how it goes on Saturday evening/Sunday morning.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>
>> Cool, good luck mate :-)
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Just wanted to give some feedback on the event I was arranging in Exeter.

Thanks, and Well Done for carrying it through!

[...]

> We had a variety of leaflets, both the text only versions (Alan Cock's
> FOSS leaflets) and the Had Enough beta leaflet.

I have recently concluded upon reflection that the FOSS leaflet is too
much of a culture shock mismatch to the user-in-the-street as it is.
In fact at my recent computer fair I did not offer it, I only offered
the Free and Open Source Software - 'Information' one. Whic is
regularly offered and taken from the counter of a local computer shop.

> We managed to give out a few leaflets, and sold ONE copy of The
> OpenCD.

may I ask what price? (off list if you wish)

> We couldn't sell any Ubuntu discs.  We also gave out a load
> of Tux stickers.  Paul (one of the guys who was with me from the Devon
> & Cornwall LUG) had the idea of printing Tux on some round Avery
> labels which was popular.

Nice Idea! Sounds great for a popular street fun event.

[...]

> Something that was popular with the kids was a printed picture of a
> penguin to colour in.  I found two pengun pictures (not tux, but
> penguins) which I printed off (2 on an A4 sheet) which kids could then
> colour in.

The back page of my 'Information' leaflet (see above) has an outline
picture of tux. I have a larger copy if anyone needs it. I use it in
A4 size as coloured in by -hand- with dayglo markers as a fun DIY flag
on my infopoint table. Part of the idea is to distance myself from big
business and suggest a more 'wholemeal' approach..... The simple non
coloured leaflets also suggest this. However, the Shipit CD packs are
attractive enough to be acceptable in the final decision stages of a
newbie 'take'.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391