[ubuntu-uk] DELL w/Ubuntu available in the UK

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 14:18:50 BST 2007

Nik Butler wrote:
> Pete Stean wrote:
>>
>> The irony of course is that this machine is *no cheaper* than the
>> Vista-loaded equivalent... why are they not prepared to pass on the
>> licence cost saving to the consumer?  And who would buy a Ubuntu
>> machine when they can get a Vista machine for the same price (knowing,
>> of course, that a free Ubuntu install can be put on the machine with
>> no problems...)?  Way to go, Dell UK  :|
>
> Why ? Well because the additional saving of the License if off set by
> the additional "bloatware" that is installed and paid to be installed by
> other software vendors. Hardware costs and minimal and the cost of the
> license ( and I really want someone from Dell to show me this not some
> armchair pundit ! ) is incredibly negligible to be not worth the value
> of the discount compared to the revenue made by other advertisers.

I've never understood how or why this works! Why should the vendor of
the bloatware pay Dell to install it? Surelly, Dell should buy a license
for the bloatware from its vendor and pass this on to the customer. It
just seems counter intutitive to me, but then I work in a University and
have almost zero understanding of how business works!

On the other point of the Vista machine being the same price as Ubuntu,
then it is not. Add in the price of Microsoft Office and then compare
the costs!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold