[ubuntu-uk] upgrades? updates?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Apr 21 09:37:34 BST 2007

Alan,

alan c wrote:

> Is automatic update and upgrade both the same thing? I would usually
> change from one version to the next by manual install - if I used the
> automatic method would it be called 'upgrade'? In kubuntu adept
> package manager I see a menu item 'Full Upgrade' is this intended for
> going to the next version?
>
> For the package security or bugs updates - are these only called
> 'updates'?

In my head, I would call a 'manual install' a re-install as you are
wiping the system and starting again. The thing that tells you about new
versions of packages I call updates (or security updates, as they tend
to be dominated by security fixes), and hitting the button 'upgrade' in
update manager I call an upgrade.

The advantage of the upgrade method is that it preserves all your system
configuration and also keeps all the extra packages that have been
installed.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold