[ubuntu-uk] upgrades? updates?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Apr 21 06:46:18 BST 2007

Terence Simpson wrote:
> Robin Menneer wrote:
>>

>> On 4/19/07, *Terence Simpson* <stdin at stdin.me.uk
>> <mailto:stdin at stdin.me.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     Robin Menneer wrote:
>>     >
>>     > On 4/19/07, *Nik Butler* <nik at reducedhackers.com
>>     <mailto:nik at reducedhackers.com>
>>     > <mailto:nik at reducedhackers.com <mailto:nik at reducedhackers.com>>>
>>     wrote:
>>     >
>>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2007-April/000102.html
>>     >     I imagine it will be duplicated across the lists but for
>>     those on
>>     >     this
>>     >     list not following the Announce list you may want to know its
>>     >     currently
>>     >     "officially" released and you should be able to grab images,
>>     update
>>     >     installations and generally update your Ubuntu urges right now.
>>     >
>>     >     Nik
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >     Wouldn't it be better for us thickies to wait until we are
>>     offered
>>     >     an automatic update in the usual way ?
>>     >     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>     <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>     <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
>>     <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>>
>>     >     https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UKTeam/
>>     >
>>     >
>>     You should be receiving the notice of a new version now.
>>     (tho you may want to change to some other mirrors as the ubuntu
>>     servers
>>     are being slapped about atm)
>>
>>     Tez
>>

>>     --
>>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>

>> Why should I want to change to 'some other mirrors' ?   Wot's atm ?
>> My Ubuntu seems to be working alright although having some minor
>> problems with OOo Draw.  I presume that unless I have good reason not
>> to, I just wait for automatic update, and follow the instructions as
>> usual ?
> atm = at the moment
> the main ubuntu mirrors are under a lot of strain with all the people
> upgrading/downloading feisty, so another mirror may let you upgrade.
> And, like I said, the "automatic upgrade" is already out.

Is automatic update and upgrade both the same thing? I would usually
change from one version to the next by manual install - if I used the
automatic method would it be called 'upgrade'? In kubuntu adept
package manager I see a menu item 'Full Upgrade' is this intended for
going to the next version?

For the package security or bugs updates - are these only called
'updates'?
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391