[ubuntu-uk] UKTeam Meetings Minutes

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Oct 31 08:03:28 GMT 2006

Nik Butler wrote:
>> Help. How do I get to begin to use IRC? I have been very much email
>> oriented in my experience. I have used instant messenger literally
>> once or twice, but never IRC. A few initial pointers would be appreciated.
>>

> Okay im dropping in here to be both Considerate and Helpful if I can .
>
> Install  XChat  ( it available in the Package lists )
>
> joining IRC is not to difficult since your going to need to know where
> we are so you need to know two things , the Network is Freenode and the
> channel onthat network is #ubuntu-uk
[...]
> http://ubuntu-uk.org/
> http://www.ubuntu.com/support/free

Follow up:
I easily installed xchat and when subsequently looking for it in the
Kmenu that Konversation (IRC) existed there. I could not see any
reference or instance of xchat - I am using Kubuntu at this point.
Maybe xchat needs the gnome desktop. Anyway having actually noticed
Konversation (IC) it was very easy to use indeed. It comes (in dapper)
preset with freenode, and #kubuntu channel, and then adding #ubuntu-uk
was also easy, so I dipped a toe into IRC, thanks.
I also run ubuntu so I will look at that too.
--
alan c