[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Team Approval.

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Oct 28 22:29:47 BST 2006

Nik,

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 20:40 +0100, Nik Butler wrote:

> If there are no objections, I would like to take the lead and the
> responsibility on the the UK Ubuntu Team Approval and Team Contact list
> which I have volunteered for ( well Jono did that bit again ! ).

No objections here!

> Roadmap : We discussed at the Expo our thoughts and Ideas, however we
> also conceded that we needed to formalise and ratify those ideas and
> agree upon them  and in the spirit of getting things done I can complete
> this task by typing up the notes and agreeing an IRC meeting date in the
> near ( consider it within 2 weeks ) future.

What we discussed was great and I have no ibjection to any of it, but I
came away still a little confused about our relationship with the LUGs,
maybe it's me and your notes will clarify this.

I've been thinking about this since. It strikes me that the objectives
of the LoCo team are different to that of the typical LUG. And indeed
the way we are likely to operate seems likely to be different (LUGs tend
to have regular physical meetings; I suspect ours will be mostly
electronic with ad-hoc physical meetings at the UK level and maybe some
at the district level). We also talked about what kind of things can the
LoCo team do to further its objectives of advocacy and support. This
could lead to a number of really good activities and to help achieve
them may we can work with LUGs as and when appropriate to help put them
into real action.

In return the LUGs (or at least I'm going from my experience with
MANLUG) would love to see Ubuntu oriented material flowing their way in
the form of speakers at meetings etc.

This, to me, leads to a symbiotic relationship between the LoCo team and
the LUGs where each is partially dependent on the other but equal in
rank and status.

Does that make any kind of sense?

Regards,
Tony.