[ubuntu-uk] Bootup screen

Matthew Saunders me3ohm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 22:00:23 BST 2006

> I have looked at MENU.LST and it contains this line which I think you
> are referring to:
>
> kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/hdb5 ro quiet=vga=791

Is the = after the word quiet actually in the menu.lst?
(quiet=vga=791)  This should be a space instead.

My working menu.lst shows:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-386 root=/dev/sda3 ro quiet splash

I don't know if it will help your problem, but you don't have the word
splash on that line?  I'm only guessing but this might get the start
up screen working.

> I think I can change the line if necessary. I am sure a need to be SU to
> make any change. Is that correct?

To create a backup copy just in case:
sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_backup

If you open Terminal,  you will need to type in:
sudo pico /boot/grub/menu.lst

Make the changes just like a normal text editor, then Ctrl+o to save,
Ctrl+x to exit.

Hope this helps

Matthew