[ubuntu-uk] (no subject)

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 4 17:48:21 BST 2006

On 04/10/06, STONE COLD <javad_ayaz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi fellow Ubuntu users!
>
> I have a few questions about Ubuntu. Hopefully someone out there will be
> able to help!
>
> Im a total newb to the gr8 Ubuntu OS. So please bare this in mind when
> answering my questions.
>
> Ok here goes!
>
> Im running a dual boot machine. An AMD Athlon 2000+ I think it is. Its
> running both WXP and Ubuntu. Ubuntu has become my OS of choice purely coz
> its so cool!
>
> But….a few problems im facing. I cant get my tv card working on it. Im
> using
> a MSI TV anywhere plus card. I tried using a program XATV but that seems
> complicated and theres only manual tuning on that. Mplayer wont detect my
> card and Ive had no luck installing Mythtv!.i don't know how to!!! L  so
> that's problem A! help someone!
>
> Ok the second thought that I had is that Ubuntu is obviously made with
> minimum specs in my mind. I don't have one of those min specs machines, as
> mentioned above..so is there anyway I can tweak it..like better
> graphics..faster loading..that sort of thing! Can it be done!?
>
> Awaiting your replys!
>
> Javad

Ubuntu isn't made with minimum specs in mind - Xubuntu is, but your machine
seems average-ish. Edgy (the new release due at the end of the month) has
faster loading because of the new upstart program.

There are better graphics/eye candy available with compiz but that isn't
that newb-friendly I think.

Caroline