[ubuntu-uk] Programs to manage podcasts

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 3 13:14:28 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:42:46AM +0100, Albert Vilella wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody know of any good program to manage podcasts?
>
> I am basically looking at a program with a couple of main features:
>
> (a) Automatically downloads the podcasts for the subscribed feeds

iPodder will do this.

> (b) Automatically removes/adds them on my mp3 player given a certain
> amount of reserved disk space. Something like:
> use 300MB of the disk for podcasts, delete old podcasts and copy new
> ones if in need of space.

I think it has a cleanup option, however what I do is use a few two scripts
to manage this process manually:-

copy_podcasts.sh - copies podcasts to my mp3 player. Only copies new ones.

#!/bin/sh
rsync -av --stats -progress --modify-window=1 ~/podcasts/ \
 /media/IHP100/podcasts/

backup_podcasts.sh - copies podcasts to a server (called hal) for long term
storage. I use ssh-keys for authentication so it doesn't ask for a password
when i run this.

#!/bin/sh
rsync -avz -e ssh ~/podcasts \
 alan at hal:/mnt/media/Audio

delete_podcasts.sh - deletes all podcasts older then 7 days. I use this on
my home directory and when my mp3 player is becoming full I run it there too.

#!/bin/sh
find ./podcasts -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \;

I know it's not exactly what you were after but it might help someone.

Cheers,
Al.