[ubuntu-uk] GTK and C

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Nov 19 12:27:00 GMT 2006

On 15/11/06, Pat <evilcorporation at gmail.com> wrote:
> Talking of IDEs, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on the free Linux
> development tools.
>
> I haven't used anjuta much, I found the way it sets up its compile options
> confusing ! It seemed to behave very bizarrely with the pkgconfig for gtkmm,
> the C++ wrapper for GTK.
>
> I also had a play with Eclipse CDT for C/C++ and didn't like that either, so
> I've been using gvim for an editor, CGDB for the debugger and building
> little shellscripts to use as compile scripts.

That's about as good as it gets as far as environment goes IMO, but
why bother with gvim?  It's less convenient than running vim in a
shell.  Also, you should be using make rather than shell scripts, and
ideally autoconf/automake for portability's sake.  Vim has a ":make"
command to run your makefile and if there were errors, it allows you
to jump to each error in your source.

For GTK stuff, I'd recommend looking into using GOB, especially if you
are creating custom widgets/gobjects.

Pete