[ubuntu-uk] Children In Need

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 10:21:49 GMT 2006

Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 11/11/06, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully with little events like this we'll be able to spread the word
>> and do a bit for charity at the same time.
>>

> I think it's a great idea - don't be put off by a lukewarm reception
> in some parts, it's often a sign you're doing something new.

Yeah, I think the most lukewarm reception was from the long standing LUG
members.  There seems to be an enthusiastic response from other people
though.  I think the problem is getting the word out.  I fixed a work
colleagues PC and Laptop yesterday.  I was only there to setup a
wireless connection.  I used the opportunity to mention that they would
possibly find Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) to be a good alternative to Windows ME
which they had before (which was riddled with spyware).
> When the mark of "Ubuntu" is humanity it only makes sense to take an
> interest in the various non-standard ways that the FLOSS community can
> have a positive "human" impact.  Doing something like this occurred to
> me when I ran the GNR this year - although I wasn't sure of the
> potential for getting a bunch of Linux geeks to run 13 miles.

Yeah.  I must admit I don't think I could run 13 miles.
> (For the record, I hobbled a dodgy-kneed 3hrs 8seconds)

Thats good, I wouldn't be able to make it.  For me it would have
probably be 3 days 8 hours!

Rob