[ubuntu-uk] Slide Shows.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Nov 10 12:59:55 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 12:40:06PM +0000, Keith Powell wrote:
> This is my first posting to this list, and I hope it is OK to post
> requests for help on this list, rather than asking on the main Ubuntu lists.

Yeah, it's fine to ask techy questions here. Others do.

> I would like to make several hundred slides into self-contained slide
> shows. The idea is to burn them on to a DVD or several CDs so that they
> can be played on a DVD player and viewed on a television. I don't want
> to have to play them through a computer.

So you want to organise some photos into folders then burn all that onto DVD/CD and then
chuck that into a standard player under the telly and it "Just work"?

If your player supports JPEGs in folders then that should be easily do-able without any
additional softare. Just organise your photos into folders in nautilus and then throw a
blank CD/DVD into the machine. When the popup choice to burn media appears, make a blank
data cd and drag all the photos into the resulting window. Hit the "write to cd" button
and away it goes.

If you want some kind of funky menu system then I think you may be out of luck unless you
can use some DVD authoring software.

> With KDE, there is a program called DigiKam which will do this, but is
> there a Gnome program which I can use, or will I have to use DigiKam
> with Gnome also? I have searched an can't find one.

You can use digikam under gnome, yes. There's also f-spot which is the gnome equivalent
of digikam.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Al.