[ubuntu-uk] New screencast on installing updates

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 9 00:09:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 12:01:51AM +0000, Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> It's nicely done & comes over very professionally / easy to follow.

Thamks!

> One problem I have though is that the video quality makes it sometimes
> impossible to read what's actually on the screen - especially large
> lines of text strangely. Is this a Google streaming issue / down to my
> connection or is the file uploaded to Google of similar quality?

It's totally down to it being re-encoded to flash for google. If you try the other links to the
OGG or MPEG feed you'll note it's dramatically better. Almost as good as it being your own
desktop.

> That aside it's still easy to follow visually what is happening / what
> to do - which I guess is the aim here.  The commentary clears
> everything up.  Out of interest has anyone ever done an audio-only
> guide for these sorts of things?  Wonder if that would work as podcast
> / net radio "lesson broadcast"?  Keep it up.  I must give one of these
> a go once I can get over hearing my own voice recorded.

A guy in the states does a podcast called Linux Reality. http://linuxreality.com/ . He does an
excellent job of covering Linux based stuff in an audio only format. It can be a little dry at
times, but he does his absolute best to describe what's going on on screen. I guess it's best to
listen while you actually try the applications and distros he is talking about.

> On a related point - has anyone ever put together an equivalent of the
> "Little book of..." things for a Linux distribution.  It occurred to
> me that a little handbook covering installation and the first few
> steps might make a helpful hand-out along with CDs.  Just got me
> thinking.

The O'Reilly book "Ubuntu Hacks" is pretty good. It has a load of small baby-step type
tutorials. Very nice book.

> Lastly after migrating to KDE and wanting my double-panels back, I've
> completed a guide to making the Kubuntu/KDE desktop look
> identical(ish) to Ubuntu/Gnome.  It's available here:
>
> http://www.mutube.com/node/55

That's pretty neat! I don't use KDE, only Gnome, so if we continue with these screencasts then
someone else will probably have to do the KDE ones, becuase I just don't know it well enough to
spout about it.

Cheers,
Al.