[ubuntu-uk] firestarter

Andrew Golightly A.Golightly at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 12:43:41 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this query, so if
it's not please let me know and I'll send it elsewhere.

For the policy under firestarter I have allowed all the bittorrent
ports. (6881-6889). However, under my events tab, I still find that
connections from port 6881 are being blocked. However, on disabling ICMP
filtering, this problem goes away. I want to keep my firewall as tight
as possible, so want to allow only the ICMP packets that I really need..
which I don't think are really any (apart from maybe unreachable and
pong/ping).

Any thoughts/ideas/advice? My azureus client still seems to run ok
though, as I'm listening on a different incoming tcp  port. So I wonder
what is trying to access through port 6881? Mmmm.. maybe it should be
blocked.

thanks,
Andrew