[ubuntu-uk] Networking and sharing directories between two machines both running Kubuntu 6.06

Gordon Burgess-Parker gordon.burgessparker at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 17:57:52 BST 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 16:24, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm tearing what remains of my hair out.

A breakthrough. I've FINALLY managed to sort it. It would be a good idea if
there was a definitive HOWTO on this in the Kubuntu wiki. I did it by some
intuition, and a lot of guesswork.
Firstly NFS and SSH are NOT installed as default, but samba is when connected
to a network with Windows boxes, which strikes me as very odd when you
consider that (K)Ubuntu is probably ready for the enterprise desktop.
Secondly I had to give each machine a static IP. I didn't do this before
because the laptop connects via WAP and I couldn't get it to work with a
static IP. Strangely enough, it now does work with a static IP!
Thirdly, I discovered that the server box needs the static IP address of the
other machine, but with no "//" before it (the usual way of denoting a
network share).

As I said, there seems to be NOTHING in the Kubuntu help files for this, and a
google search didn't turn up much either.

Still, at long last I've done it!

Cheers!