[ubuntu-uk] CMS Debate - Xoops vs Drupal

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Sat Jul 8 07:56:19 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 03:25 +0100, Steve Smith wrote:
> Sorry to post three times in a row, but I need to take back something
> I've said - Drupal's in tables too!  Not as cluttered with them as
> Xoops, in my opinion, but still.  Yet drupal.org itself has brilliant
> code, which is what I  looked at before.  Now that site appears to run
> on Drupal, so maybe it's a newer version than opensourcecms has.  More
> legwork to be done yet...

What you my be looking at is simply default theme vs custom theme.
Earlier I said that I didn't like Xoops' HTML, but that of course
depends which theme you're using....

Regarding tables, there are numerous web design gurus who advocate using
a few tables for layout because, well, sometimes tables just make sense.
Just don't nest them to kingdom come.

You've got me started thinking about putting together a guide to
choosing a CMS - some simple questions to ask yourself about a candidate
CMS package to see if you can work with it, based on the sort of things
that I've discovered become important.  One of these, which nobody has
yet mentioned and which is likely to be important for your Photo
Society, is workflow or fine-grained access control.  Can users easily
be given responsibility for a section of the site, or does it have a
basic "social networking" permissions system, or perhaps it is only
intended for a small number of admins?

Robert.