[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu minimum spec

Yorvik yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 7 00:02:07 BST 2006

Steve Smith wrote:
> One of my friends has a 266MHz/64Mb mini laptop thingy.  Has anyone
> tried Ubuntu (as in with Gnome) on something that low?  How does it
> run?  Would OpenOffice survive?
>
> Steve :)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SteveSmith

We got Breezy to run on a 266MHz/128Mb desk top machine.  It was rather
slow but usable. Open office bordered on painful though.  Abiword runs
OK, once it's loaded, and the documents aren't to big.  A 164 page
document brought it to it's knees.  We didn't do any tweaking to the
standard install to try and speed things up.

SteVe