[ubuntu-uk] Introduction and question

Nick Mcmahon boredklink at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:46:30 CDT 2005

Norman Silverstone wrote:

>I am sorry, bit I must disagree with you. One of the very strong points
>about Ubuntu is the community and, to some extent, the bigger and more
>diverse the community is the better for all. FWIW, I think the only
>reason for separate groups is one of ease of communication eg language.
>
>Norman

Well when I said setting one up was a good idea, I also said that it would only be worth it if there were enough people joining to keep it going, I wont be setting one up, i'm not from Ireland, I was just giving my oppinion.  Would you like a [Ubuntu-USA-UK-Ireland-Australia-South africa-English speaking Europe-English speaking Asia-English speaking South America-and enyone else who speaks english] list? and then the same for all the french speaking countries and agian for the german speaking countries etc. I feel those would be too busy to use effectivly. Small(er) divisions are sensible, with everyone on this list being from the UK it means that we have certian things in common, But it also means we are differnt in culture from other english speaking places, which would become apparent on a languange (as opposed to area) segregated list. Lots of very small groups would be bad for ubuntu and I agree with you on community thing to an extent, and depending on the size and number of active users in an Irish list, I think it become quite a good community.

Nick