Scottish Gaelic

Michael Bauer fios at akerbeltz.org
Fri Oct 18 10:04:32 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

Well, the "translator" in question has recently deleted his account as
as far as I can tell, is no longer adding translations. And the problem
wasn't so much that he was undoing our work, it was that he was
continually adding "new translations". Splitting Gaelic into more than
one locale is a really bad idea, the divisions are not that bad to begin
with and with less than 60,000 speakers, maintaining *2* is not going to
work. So just keeping the one gd locale is the preferred option. And
apart from Linux Mint, we have done the lion's share of proofreading.

However, having said that, I do think Ubuntu on the whole needs a proper
process for dealing with such problems. It's bound to happen in other
locales and it will, in the end, harm the image of the project if there
is no way of preventing really bad translations from reaching the
general public (and removing or at least hiding them from the
suggestions, some strings now in gd have so many bad suggestions
attached they sometimes run outside the screen...). We all laugh at Coca
Cola and Co for producing bad translations of advertisements which are
hilarious in another language - but sometimes in open source projects I
get the feeling that people are too willing to assume that peer review
will fix everything.

Michael

18/10/2013 10:57, sgrìobh Tom Davies: