Line breaking

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Oct 18 14:59:36 UTC 2013

написане Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:14:39 +0300, Michael Bauer
<fios at akerbeltz.org>:

> Different question, now that we have a more or less clean translation,
> we can look into some other stuff too. I've noticed that we have some
> linebreaking issues in menu items, for example System Settings is now:
> Roghainnean an t-
> siostaim
>
> But in our locale t-siostaim should not be broken across 2 lines. Is
> there
> a) a way of generally preventing t- n- h- in our locale from breaking
> across two lines?
> b) a manual way of preventing or forcing a linebreak? Would nonbreaking
> hyphens work? Or should I try something like
> Roghainnean an<br>t-siostaim
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Hi!

Menu items are generally taken from .desktop files. There is nothing that
a translator can do with such strings. It is a bug in software. \n and

Programming engineers should take into account hyphenation in alphabetic
languages (or switch it off) and no hyphenation in hieroglyphic ones. It
is not an easy task.

I think it is better to file a bug on this.

Best regards,
Yuri