A number of Dash updates coming your way with Beta2

Jeremy Bicha jeremy at bicha.net
Tue Sep 18 17:43:42 UTC 2012

On 18 September 2012 13:12, John Lea <john.lea at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Documentation and Translation teams,
>
> We are currently in the process of finally landing the Dash work from this
> cycle.  I know this is very late, but we are now making the final push to
> get everything landed into 12.10.  The new 12.10 Dash will update some
> aspects of the overall Dash appearance.
>
> Ideally great if we could take new screenshots of the Dash and do a
> translation review of these changes when Beta2 arrives.  However even if if
> is not possible to take new screenshots the structure of the Dash and the
> copy is broadly similar to the current Dash, so even if it is not possible
> to update the screenshots there should still not be any major issues.
>
> The bug that is landing these changes is
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/1049593
>
> Apologies again for how late this is landing in the cycle, and thanks for
> your understanding.
>
> cheers,
> John

Adding ubuntu-release to the CC line.

John, there's 24 changes in that list on a single bug! And that's not
counting all of the other UIFE's we've gotten about Unity-related
tweaks.

I'm using the unity-staging PPA for screenshots. But the Documentation
Freeze is Thursday, which effectively for me means tomorrow night.
While it is possible to update screenshots after the deadline using
the script I created last cycle, I don't think that encourages the
translation teams to bother making translated screenshots either if
the interface & the master screenshots are still changing.

It also means that it's basically impossible for the Docs Team to have
any chance to actually have text content describing how the UI works.
As one example, if we had a section discussing previews, this fact
should be mentioned;
"- Users should be able to exit the Preview and return to the results
by right clicking anywhere inside the preview"

By the way, the Ubuntu Manual team is also aiming to release the new
manual at the same that 12.10 is released which is a big deal for that
project. They are affected by these changes too.

Matthew & I did ask for DocumentationFreeze to be delayed a week back
in May on the ubuntu-doc list but we didn't follow up on actually
getting the schedule changed.

For next cycle, please schedule your Unity UI sprint *before* User
Interface Freeze. Maybe it was the fault of 12.04.1 and the compiz
gsettings migration, but the feature work really needs to land sooner.

Thanks,
Jeremy