top bar, menu bar, panel or top panel

yannubuntu at yannubuntu at
Wed Jul 11 10:06:14 UTC 2012

2012/7/11 Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at>

> On 10 July 2012 04:49, Hannie Dumoleyn <lafeber-dumoleyn2 at>
> wrote:
> > As a member of the ubuntu manual team I started a discussion on how we
> > should call this "thing" at the top of our screen.
> > As a translator of the official Ubuntu documentation (yelp) I noticed
> that
> > the word "panel" had been changed to "menu bar" in the Precise version.
> > I would like to discuss this with people from ubuntu-translators and
> > ubuntu-docs as well.
> > Let me know what you think.
> The official Ubuntu term is "menu bar". Besides the official Ubuntu
> documentation, this can be found in multiple places in System Settings
> such as "Show battery status in the menu bar".
> The GNOME documentation calls the similar space in GNOME Shell "top bar".
> Personally, I like the "menu bar" name as the top of the screen
> includes application menus, application status menus, and system
> status menus. The only part that isn't a menu is the window management
> buttons (close, minimize, maximize) and the app title.
> Thanks for asking as clear and consistent word choices are important!
> Jeremy
I think the "top" word is useful/necessary, because new users may see 2
possible "menu bars": one on the top and one on the left.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the ubuntu-translators mailing list