Translation imports are now reenabled

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 17 18:48:19 UTC 2011

Hi translators,

As promised, here's a status update on the subject of halted imports.

As a reminder:
After the Launchpad rollout on the 12th of January we noticed an issue
where translations explicitly changed in Launchpad were overwritten by
those imported from upstream (seeĀ¹ for the details). We then halted the
import queues to minimize the effect.

The status:
I'm happy to announce that the imports queues have now been enabled and
that you can now upload offline translations as usual. As always, we
recommend doing translations in the web UI to get imported in Launchpad
in the quickest way, but this is a decision each translator and
translation team is free to take.

Caveats:
However, I'm really sorry to say that after exploring different
alternatives, we haven't been able to recover the overwritten
translations. If your translation team either does most of their
translations upstream or does them in Launchpad and keeps upstream in
sync, this will probably not affect you. But if you were diverging
translations on purpose, you might well be affected.

If that is the case, here are some tips that might help you recovering
translations:

      * Use the "Translation details" > "filter" option. On the
        translation page from a template, you can click on the
        "Translation details" link, and then on the next page on the
        "filter" link next to the person whose translations might have
        been overwritten. Then you can just copy and paste the
        translations.
      * Reimport the translations from an older language pack. If you
        need to recover a great number of translations, you might want
        to fetch them from an older language pack export prior to the
        12th of January, and then reimport them into Launchpad. HereĀ³
        you'll find more info on how to do it.

I'm terribly sorry for this situation, and as a translator I'm well
aware of the inconveniences this might bring to some teams. If you need
any help in recovering translations, and if there is anything we can do,
or if you've got any questions, please feel free to ask on this thread.

Regards,
David.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2011-January/004374.html
[2] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/gimp/+pots/gimp20/pt/+filter?person=almufadado