Announcing new Lucid language packs for the 10.04.2 release

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 10 12:44:09 UTC 2011

El dj 10 de 02 de 2011 a les 08:35 +0100, en/na Hannie va escriure:
> Hello David, Ask,
> Thanks for your anwers on the gcalctool version in Lucid. You are a
> better Sherlock Holmes than I am ;)

Hi Hannie,

> I suppose including the newer version, 2.32 or 2.30, in Lucid is not
> possible.

That's correct. It's not possible due to the Ubuntu updates policy,
which in short means that only security updates or critical bug fixes
are allowed after a release.

However, in what it concerns translations, you don't need application
updates to update translations: that's exactly the role of the language
packs. And message sharing adds a nice feature to that: if you complete
a translation in a later release, the identical messages will
automatically be translated in all other releases and, translations will
be released to users on the next language pack update.

So for gcalctool, if the version in Natty is 100% translated (the master
branch in GNOME), all of the identical messages should be translated in
Lucid. The rest of the messages will be different in 2.28 (Lucid) and in
master (Natty) and you'll have to translate them. If you first translate
them upstream you'll then have to import them manually into the Lucid
gcalctool translation, as we're no longer uploading packages for Lucid
unless they are security or critical fixes.

Regards,
David.

--
David Planella