Firefox translations status in Natty

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 9 18:16:10 UTC 2011

El ds 05 de 02 de 2011 a les 19:05 +0100, en/na Ask Hjorth Larsen va
escriure:
> [...]
> >> Alpha-2 on February the 3rd.
> >>
> >>      * Once they are available, please make sure to test them well and
> >>        report any bugs you might find.
> >>
> >> In addition to that, while importing some upstream translations we
> >> noticed a couple of bugs. These need to be fixed upstream, so I'd like
> >> to ask the teams affected to coordinate with upstream to fix them.
> >>
> >> Here are the bugs in Launchpad with upstream links:
> >>
> >> Brazilian Portuguese:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/704210
> >>
> >> Norwegian Nynorsk:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/704202
> >>
> >> Oriya:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/704205
> >>
> >> Telugu:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/704208
> >>
> >> Tamil:
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/704211
> >>

> >>      * Please work with the upstream teams to get these fixed. In the
> >>        meantime, you can fix them in the xpi files for Ubuntu [3] and
> >>        upload them.
> >>
> >> Finally, just a note to say that we imported the translations from [4].
> >> I know some teams haven't got their translations in there yet, only on
> >> Mercurial. We've only imported the official ones for now. If you need
> >> your non-official translation to get imported, let us know and we'll see
> >> if we can figure something out.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> David.
> >>
> >> [1] https://code.launchpad.net/~mozillateam/po2xpi/trunk
> >> [2] https://launchpad.net/langpack-o-matic
> >> [3] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+source/firefox/+imports?field.filter_status=FAILED&field.filter_extension=all
> >> [4] http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/4.0b9/linux-i686/
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Planella
> >> Ubuntu Translations Coordinator
> >> www.ubuntu.com / www.davidplanella.wordpress.com
> >> www.identi.ca/dplanella / www.twitter.com/dplanella
> >
> > Are there any ubuntu-specific changes to the firefox templates?  I
> > notice that we have a few untranslated strings, and this is unusual
> > because the Danish upstream Mozilla translators tend to keep it at
> > 100%.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ask
> >

> How are the untranslated strings in Firefox supposed to be translated?
>  They are all on the form "update.downloading.end",
> "setup.tosAgree2.accesskey" and so on.  That usually means they should
> not be translated.  But then why are they marked for translation?
> Anders Jenbo told me that apparently they are placeholders for other
> strings that one would need the source code to figure out.
>
> The following languages have translated Firefox 100%:  Slovenian,
> Spanish, Albanian, British, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese.   These
> have all dealt with these strings by copying the English ones.  Can
> someone please tell us all what the right thing to do is?

Hi Ask,

Let me first add a bit of background: Launchpad is based on the gettext
model, in which you've got a .pot template with a fixed set of messages
and then translations in each language.

The way Launchpad supports the Mozilla XPI format is accomodating it as
much as it can be to gettext. Mozilla does not have the concept of
templates, there are only .xpi files for each available language.
However, what can be done is to consider the en-US.xpi file as the
master template, from which other languages create the translations.

So far so good, except for the fact that the translations in Mozilla do
not necessarily have to match the en-US.xpi file, so, for example in the
fi.xpi you could just omit some messages that are in en-US.xpi file.

Folowing this example, and considering that Mozilla translations are
nothing else as .properties and .dtd files zipped inside an .xpi
archive, let's imagine the en-US.xpi template contains a file called
dummy.properties, which looks like this:

8<---------------------------------------------

# Write your first translation in the "New translation" text box.
firstTranslation=My first ever translation

# Wow, you're getting good, now write your second translation.
secondTranslation=My second translation

# Optional, finish it off with a third one.
thirdTranslation=My third translation

8<---------------------------------------------

ca.xpi  (the Catalan translation of Firefox) also contains a file called
dummy.properties, and it looks like this:

8<---------------------------------------------

# Write your first translation in the "New translation" text box.
firstTranslation=La meva primera traducció

# Wow, you're getting good, now write your second translation.
firstTranslation=La segona traducció

8<---------------------------------------------

Notice above that the Catalan dummy.properties file is missing the third
translation altogether, which is a valid situation in the Mozilla
format. In gettext, the number of translatable strings should be the
same in the template and in the translation file

So in Launchpad the "My first ever translation", "My second translation"
and "My third translation" strings would be the equivalent to msgid's,
and "La meva primera traducció" and so on would be the equivalents to
msgstr's. As Launchpad is modelled on gettext, and it expect the same
number of msgid's in the template and in the translation, it creates an
empty (untranslated) msgid for "My third translation", which is what you
then can see as untranslated if you go to the Catalan translation page
of Firefox. So in LP you'd see:

8<---------------------------------------------

English: My first ever translation
{i} Write your first translation in the "New translation" text box.
Current Catalan: La meva primera traducció

English: My second translation
{i} Wow, you're getting good, now write your second translation.
Current Catalan: La segona traducció

English: My third translation
{i} Optional, finish it off with a third one.
Current Catalan: (empty)

I think in this case, the best thing to do is to just leave them
untranslated, as they were omitted upstream, so it can be safely assumed
that they were not needed.

Regards,
David.