Deadline for translations on live-cd

Ask Hjorth Larsen asklarsen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 11:04:29 UTC 2010

Hi Dylan and translators who are testing (or would like to easily
test) the installation slideshow

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There have been multiple surprising string changes past the deadline
>> lately.  What exactly is the deadline for translations that go on the
>> live-cd?
>>
>> If the translations have already been exported for the live-cd, then I
>> cannot guarantee that our translations are complete.  I request an
>> extension of the deadline into at least the middle of next week, else
>> we probably can't test the live-cd (again).
>>
>> Regards
>> Ask
>

> I am one of the maintainers responsible for these problems. (The
> installer slideshow finally landed new strings on the day of the non
> language pack translation _deadline_).
>
> Evan sent a message on the subject, too:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-September/015205.html
>
> Testing is one thing that can definitely suffer from passing deadlines
> like this. What I will do to make this easier with my project is a
> weekly build of the slideshow, including translations, at:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~dylanmccall/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/preview/
> (And I'll make it reasonably friendly to use while I'm at it. For next
> week, you will be able to specify the language to view).
>
> As I understand it, Ubiquity and so on will be getting quite frequent
> releases up to the final freeze. I am also interested to know what the
> reason for the non-language pack deadline is, just so I can understand
> this scenario better :)
>

> Dylan

The slideshow does not display correctly in Firefox, so until
yesterday I assumed it was just not up and running.  But apparently it
displays correctly in Epiphany (the GNOME browser).  For some reason
it selects the 'right-to-left language' option automatically even
though the checkbox hasn't been clicked.  This can be helped by
removing the characters ?rtl at the end of the URL.  Aside from these
issues it appears to be working very well.

Best regards
Ask