More untranslated strings in Maverick beta in galician language.

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 15 10:57:05 UTC 2010

El dt 14 de 09 de 2010 a les 21:12 +0300, en/na Khaled Hosny va
escriure:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 01:35:07PM +0200, David Planella wrote:
> >
> > That is to be expected, as the Galician language pack is not included on
> > the LiveCd. We'd like to include all languages or as many as possible on
> > the CD, but this is not possible due to space constraints.
>
> I'm just wondering what is the policy of language pack inclusion on the
> live CD, for example Arabic is 5th language by the number of native
> speakers, yet it was not included in the live CD last time I checked,
> though we usually have a pretty complete translation of the default
> installation.
>
> Regards,
>  Khaled

Hi Khaled,

That's a good point, and something I've wanted to address for a while.

The policy is the one in:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/TranslationLifecycle#FAQ

i.e. "the world's top 11 languages come first, then the rest
alphabetically"

That has to be adapted again due to technical constraints, and Chinese
(Simplified of Traditional) for example, while on that list, take too
much space already on the language packs. We also add Xhosa, being the
language where Ubuntu comes from. Finally, I'm not sure which sources
were used to compile the top 11 languages, that was before my time.

So, on the last few releases we've had the following languages included:

      * Hardy: German, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
      * Intrepid: Bengali, German, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Xhosa
      * Jaunty: Bengali, German, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese,
        Xhosa
      * Karmic: Bengali, German, English, Spanish, French, Portuguese,
        Xhosa
      * Lucid: Bengali, German, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Xhosa
      * Maverick: Bengali, German, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Xhosa
        (list not yet definitive)

It would be good to revisit this criterion, although it might be getting
a bit too tight for Maverick.

I'd like to consider not only the most spoken languages, but also the
level of support or how active the community behind a language is. This
could be done by additionally taking into account the list of supported
languages for a release [1]. One last factor, although I cannot think of
any easy way to measure it, would be how critical is that we add a
particular language to the LiveCD. I'm thinking of languages spoken in
areas with limited or no Internet connectivity.

I welcome any suggestions and ideas. Translators, what do you think?

Regards,
David.

[1] http://people.ubuntu.com/~dpm/ubuntu-10.04-translation-stats.html

--