More untranslated strings in Maverick beta in galician language.

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 14 11:35:07 UTC 2010

Hi Fran,

Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks a lot for the exhaustive
testing. This is really useful for identifying problems as soon as
possible and having time to fix them.

El dj 09 de 09 de 2010 a les 00:33 +0200, en/na Fran Dieguez va
escriure:
> Hi all again,
>
> This afternoon I've been testing deeply the new Maverick beta for
> untranslated strings or problems related to l10n (mainly focused in
> Galician language translations), so below I list some issues I have
> found:
>
> Errors into the Live CD
>
>  - Selecting Galician language in the bootloader and after all the
> system is loaded from the CD doesn't display any translated string. All
> the programs, menus, applets, etc, are in English.

That is to be expected, as the Galician language pack is not included on
the LiveCd. We'd like to include all languages or as many as possible on
the CD, but this is not possible due to space constraints.

>  Is the Galician
> language included in the CD version? (Lucid showed almost the entire
> interface in galician...).

No, it is not included. If the interface was partially shown in
Galician, it might have been by chance (perhaps some applications did
contain translations which should have been in language packs?), but in
fact they should not be shown.

>  I attach a tarball  where you can see some
> strings untranslated that in LP are translated for more than 2 weeks.
> Take notice the bottom messages like "Copying files.." and the final
> screenshot that shows the "Needed restart" message.

Thanks. I'll try to comment on all you've observed. If I've forgotten
anything, please let us know on this thread.

Notice that translations for the installer haven't been updated for a
while, so that might be why some of the strings appear untranslated
during installation.

>  - When you click the restart button is showed the message "Please
> remove installation media and close the tray" that in the previous
> versions was translated.

Is that on the text interface on logout? I cannot remember it ever being
translated in Catalan. Translators: was it translated in other
languages?

> Errors in a installed system (with the beta available 10/9/2010):
>
>  - All the interface is in English (in the installation I select the
> Galician language option) and previous versions show a dialog to
> "install all the compatability language" for Galician. After upgrade all
> the system from beta to latest packages (September 8th, 21:40 pm) don't
> install the translation packages. But now trying to go to Language
> Support and after clicking Install in the «The language support is not
> installed completely» the galician language packages are installed and
> after restart session Ubuntu is showed in galician language.

This is probably due to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/630924

>  - Minor errors:
>   * aboutme-applet: Shows "About me..." instead of "Sobre min..."

This is because the language packs have not been generated since the
beta release, due to a problem. This should now be fixed and new
language packs should be starting to be available between tomorrow late
afternoon UTC/Thursday.

If the problem still persists after the language pack updates, please
file a bug against the ubuntu-translations project.

>   * Main menu untranslated entries:
>     \ Firefox Web Browser

Yes, these translations are now coordinated on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Wanted/FirefoxDesktop and will be
uploaded on Thursday on NonLanguagePackDeadline.

>     \ Additional Drivers into System->Administration

Yes, as "About me..." this only needs a language pack update. It should
be fixed after that.

>     \ Evolution Mail (very weird, in Internet section is untranslated
> but in Office section is translated)

I'm not sure about this one, but I'm assuming it needs a language pack
update. If that does not fix it, please report a bug against
ubuntu-translations.

>  - Downloads folder (I think is from xdg folders name) is untranslated.

I think this is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/630147 Feel free to
subscribe to follow its development or to provide more feedback.

>  - Configuration Step of Evolution mail configuración (I attach a
> screenshot for this).

Again, I'm not sure about this one, but I'm assuming it needs a language
pack update. If that does not fix it, please report a bug against
ubuntu-translations.

> All the errors I list above are verified in LP and all of their
> translations are completed for more than one week.
>
> As you can see there is a lot of minor errors and I would need that
> other languages confirm those issues or not.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.

--