A proposal for the new roadmap 11.04

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:11:16 UTC 2010

In data mercoledì 20 ottobre 2010 10:04:22, Sveinn í Felli ha scritto:

> > with regard to the latest announcement made by David in the list, I would
> > like to submit to you my humble ideas about a new structure for Ubuntu
> > translations in Launchpad.
> >
> > The idea is very simple: splitting the Ubuntu translation structure from
> > one single branch into, at least, 4 branches with eventual derivative
> > sub- branches. The reason is to have a more rational structure in which
> > translators can easily individuate and manage packages to translate.
> >
> > I think also that a new structure will facilitate the work of the
> > translators and speed up the translation process.
>
> Great work - I second these. We're talking about the
> organisation of the translation interface, isn't it ?

Yes, of course, and documentation, too.

> > Here is a possible subdivision:
> >
> > #1 - Ubuntu-files: this branch would include language files related only
> > to Ubuntu, say "shared" files;
> >
> > #2 - Ubuntu-Gnome files: this branch would include only upstream language
> > files coming from the Gnome project plus upstream files containing
> > possible changed strings;
> >
> > #3 - Kubuntu-KDE files: this branch would include only upstream language
> > files coming from the KDE project plus upstream files containing
> > possible changed strings;
> >
> > #4 - Xubuntu-XFCE files: this branch would include only upstream language
> > files coming from the XFCE project plus upstream files containing
> > possible changed strings.
>
> This could be a simple drop-down field above the file list;
> with options like
> all/Ubuntu_shared/Ubuntu_GNOME/Kubuntu_KDE/Xubuntu_XFCE (and
> maybe an Undefined field for modules early in the
> translation cycle).

In that way, you need to add a "tag" to indicate which branch
the package belongs to.

On the contrary, the other structure would imply the creation of sub-branches
for the main "Ubuntu Translation" branch.

Replying to Tom's considerations, I think that also Kubuntu should be added to
the list, if the project becomes stable and coordinated with the others.

> Possibly those definitions exist already
> in the database ?

I don't know.

> > #5- For 2, 3, 4 files there should be also indication of original
> > (upstream) URL, and possibility to have e-mail notification of changes
> > in the files (this applies also to #1).
>
> This could be in the header of the initial translation page,
> e.g.
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/ubiquity-slidesh
> ow-ubuntu/+pots/ubiquity-slideshow-kubuntu/XX/+translate

No, I was thinking to simply put an URL inside the Launchpad page of the
translation, something like: "the upstream package can be found here:
address_of_the_package"
Note: I would put the URL for the localized package and also the URL of the
upstream translation team.

For what I'm concerned - an example for my loved program "KPackageKit" :-) :

- upstream URL repository: http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-
kde4/it/messages/playground-sysadmin/kpackagekit.po
- Italian KDE Translation Team: http://kde.gulp.linux.it/

In this case, its upstream position can vary, because it is placed in
"playground-sysadmin", so it's a temporary position.

There could be also a check box like "Watch this package", in case the
translator would want to keep an eye to version updates.

> > #6- For upstream files, there could be also a note indicating the
> > "upstream" situation of the file, for example, if the file is contained
> > in a stable or unstable/trunk branch.
>
> And maybe having the date of last synchronization with
> upstream would be of use.

Yes, the importing from CVS, SVN and GIT is already setup and is working well,
I think the good Launchpad developers will have no problems to integrate it.
:-)

> > #7- Release cycles should be coordinated with the release ones of the
> > upstream work-flows. To clarify this point: the release of a language
> > update must be done only after the release of the upstream. This seems
> > to be logical, but often it isn't, above all if packs are taken from
> > both branches indicated in #6. Language packs are often incomplete, if
> > the upstream way is not followed. This involves also the work in
> > Launchpad, which could vanish after an upstream update. In this way,
> > translators who work on an "upstream
> > (untranslated/partially untranslated) package" could notify directly the
> > translator in charge, thanks to #5: "Hey, I translated the file you are
> > working on, I'll send it to you so that you could give it a look and
> > use, if you wish."
>
> In a previous thread, there was some discussion about having
> a lang-pack-bugfix upgrade relatively soon after a release
> (eliminating the most apparent errors) and maybe another
> intermediate one (before next 6 monthly release).
> If this can also coincide with upstream releases, good.

Yes, and if Launchpad release were a week after the upstream release, this
would be perfect for Launchpad translators

> And may I add:
>
> #8- If translators (reviewers/coordinators) could easily
> download all the POs of their language in one go, that would
> be nice.

Yes, but probably this is a technical issue.

Ciao
--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410  http://counter.li.org