Ubuntu 11.04 Translations Plans

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 5 06:36:16 UTC 2010

El dv 17 de 09 de 2010 a les 00:43 +0200, en/na Fran Dieguez va
escriure:
> I have three ideas for better user experience and for improve getting
> translations back to upstream.

Hi Fran,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Again, these are requests for new
Launchpad features, and while they are absolutely valid requests, that
was not the primary intention of this thread.

Let me comment on your suggestions:

> I'm coordinating the Galician translators team of GNOME, and I found a
> lot of strings that have been changed in Launchpad, some of them were
> bugfixes  unreported upstream. So to improve this I propose:
>
>  - Group diferent templates from the
> https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+lang/gl page by
> project (Ubuntu related, GNOME project, KDE project, Translation
> project, ...). This will help translators/coordinators to focus in one
> particular area of translations.

That's something we definitely need, although it is not something the
Launchpad developers will be able to work on in the near future. I hope
I've managed to explain why on previous replies on this thread: it's a
matter of allocating development resources to priorities, but I'll be
happy to explain it again if you feel there is the need to.

We also had a Google Summer of Code project proposal (along with other
ones for Launchpad Translations, scroll down on the list), but
unfortunately no student had the time or interest to pick it up:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2010/Ideas#Package%20set%20views%20in%20Launchpad%20Translations

>  - Where and how to send to upstream: For each group will be very
> helpful have one page explaining how and where to submit translations to
> upstream. For example, there are a lot of templates completed in LP from
> Translation Project and in TP continue untranslated.

We do not have this integrated in Launchpad. In the future, it would be
useful to have it, but better still, we should have an automated or
semi-automated way to send to upstreams (note that I'm not saying it's
going to be like that, there are no plans for an implementation yet:
this is only one of the ideas that have been thrown around). For
example, when submitting a translation back to the TP it should be sent
to the TP robot; for GNOME, it should land on damned lies for review,
etc.

At the moment, the upstream pages in the wiki cover this purpose as a
workaround:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Upstream

Until there is a way to handle this in Launchpad automatically, I'd
suggest to keep maintaining those pages, and I'd like to ask for
everyone's help in updating them.

There is good information on GNOME and KDE, but some other upstream
pages are in need of some love. If you find out information on how to
send translations to a particular upstream that is not already in there,
please feel free to add it. With this you'll be helping all other
translation teams.

Some of you have told me on IRC about suggestions for better finding
upstreams. I think it was Andrej from the Slovenian team that said that
an alphabetical list of upstreams would be helpful. If anyone wants to
work on implementing anything like this, any modifications will be more
than welcome.

>  - Export strings changed in launchpad. Allow to export one pofile from
> template with the changed strings in LP.

That's already possible nowadays:

http://blog.launchpad.net/translations/partial-po-export-holding-post

You can export a PO file in a given language with only the changes in
Launchpad and Ubuntu-specific strings.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.