Where are my translations?

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 2 12:48:49 UTC 2010

Hi Ask,

El dc 02 de 06 de 2010 a les 13:05 +0200, en/na Ask Hjorth Larsen va
escriure:
> Hi David
>
> Thank you very much for the explanation of how strings propagate to
> Ubuntu.  I have a few extra questions though.
>
> 2010/6/2 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
> (...)
> > GNOME Translator translates Empathy documentation

> > GNOME Translation team member commits translation to git.gnome.org after
> > review

> > Empathy tarball (empathy-<version>.tar.gz) is released from [1],
> > containing all those translations

> > The empathy tarball is packaged for Ubuntu
>
> Who does this, and how frequently? (In rough terms)

Upstream maintainers, how frequently depends on the project release
schedule. Focusing in GNOME as our major upstream and as an easy
example: GNOME maintainers, (very roughly) every couple of weeks during
the development cycle. Basically, every time you see "unstable release"
on the timeline.

  http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirtyone

There are other upstreams which are packaged in Debian first, so there
is another step in between (Debian packages -> Ubuntu packages)

> > Translations are imported into Launchpad
>
> By a computer or a human?  Does this automatically happen after the packaging?

Ubuntu developers as humans (some might argue that some of them are
superhumans) create the packages and upload them to the archive.
Launchpad (the Soyuz component) picks them up and imports translations
automatically.

> > Translations are released as language packs
>
> Do you know the flow for ordinary, translatable-in-Rosetta strings?

If I understand your question correctly, it's exactly the same (saving
known exceptions such as the installer), only that for Ubuntu-specific
applications upstreams are generally hosted in Launchpad. But that does
not change the workflow: release (developers) -> packages (packagers) ->
package upload (packagers) -> translation importing (Launchpad).

> I'm mostly interested in who does what and how often, since that is
> what I have to know in order to make sure that the translations get
> through the system

I hope that gave an overview. This is the (very) generic workflow, but
we do have many upstreams, and there are always some exceptions.

>  (I recently opened a bug report because a
> particular fix didn't make it into the langpack update in spite of
> having been fixed in Rosetta well before).

If you provide more details and the bug number, I'm sure we can find out
what happened.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.