Where are my translations?

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 2 10:37:25 UTC 2010

El dc 02 de 06 de 2010 a les 09:13 +0200, en/na Hannie Lafeber-Dumoleyn
va escriure:

Yes, there is more info on http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nl as well.

>  I want to translate Empathy (doc) for Gnome-NL for a start, but I
> want to be sure it will be published in Ubuntu.

Then I'd recommend getting in touch with the upstream team, get familiar
with their workflow, ask them if someone is already working on that, and
if not, get them to assign the task to you.

>  It is very difficult to track the path from translation to
> publication. Which organization sees to it that documentation
> translations are published (in this case the translation of a Gnome
> application installed by default in Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)?

I realise this is difficult for new contributors. Let me try to clarify
the process in the particular case of documentation, as it seems it's
the one you're interested in:

GNOME Translator translates Empathy documentation

GNOME Translation team member commits translation to git.gnome.org after
review

Empathy tarball (empathy-<version>.tar.gz) is released from [1],
containing all those translations

The empathy tarball is packaged for Ubuntu

Translations are imported into Launchpad

Translations are released as language packs

During the development cycle is when you'll see more translation
activity and more syncs from upstream. That's when translation teams
usually do their work, generally after string freeze [2] (Ubuntu's
string freeze happens later)

>  Shouldn't there be a better co-operation between Ubuntu and
> Gnome/KDE?

Cooperation is a very broad term, but always welcome. Could you please
expand on which kind of exact cooperation you are refering to or your
are proposing?

If you mean team cooperation, what we always recommend is that the
Ubuntu and upstream teams get in touch, and that there is some
involvement in both directions. Looking at the Dutch team, it seems that
there are members both in upstream GNOME and in Ubuntu:

http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nl
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-nl/+members#active

But that does not tell me how good the communication is within each
particular team. Does the GNOME team has a mailing list, forum, etc.
where translations are coordinated and discussed? Does the Ubuntu one
have?

> I think that Dutch users of Ubuntu would appreciate it if they get
> Dutch translations when they look for help, especially with Gnome or
> KDE applications that are installed by default in Ubuntu.
> Regards,
> Hannie

Most definitely! The important part to always remember is that we are a
community, and that you or anyone else can contribute to improve this.

Thanks!

Regards,
David.

[1] ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/empathy/2.31/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirtyone

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator