Translating Debian Package Descriptions

Gabor Kelemen kelemeng at
Wed Feb 17 20:38:28 GMT 2010

Jochen Skulj írta:
> Hi,
> I am just trying to understand how those Debian package descriptions
> which are shown when using apt-cache are translated in Ubuntu. Naively I
> assume that these package descriptions are imported from
> into Launchpad, can be translated or adapted in Launchpad an these
> Launchpad translations will be delivered to the users via language
> packs.Is this idea correct or am I totally wrong? If I am wrong I would
> like to know how this process works.
They are imported from ddtp to the project, this is
The translations are however not part of the language packs, but are
separately uploaded to the package repository servers. Anything you
translate in the project above, you should see in the next release
> Currently we - the German Ubuntu Translators - have this problem: a user
> reported that the German translation of a package translation which are
> shown by apt-cache is inappropriate. While taking a closer look on this
> issue we found out two things:
> (1) The translation the user told us can't be found on Launchpad. The
> user criticises that in the package description of aircrack-ng the term
> "WEP/WPA-Knacker" is used. Although this seems to be the case in
> the translation on Launchpad [1] is different and
> doesn't contain "Knacker".
It does, just use the correct search term:

If you feel a bit lost in these templates, you might want to take a look
at the ubuntu-hu team's pet project which
should help a lot in such cases - for example, finding all the German
translations of aircrack-ng's descriptions took about 5 seconds for me
;). See also the wiki page of the Nightmonkey project:

> (2) On our machines the package description are not translated at all. I
> verified this on two machines running Jaunty and apt-cache only shows
> English package descriptions. How can it happen that some users have
> translated package descriptions and others not?
Sometimes I see this too, but an apt-get update command usually helps. I
have no idea why is this happening...

Gabor Kelemen