Templates order in the big Ubuntu templates list

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 30 12:50:11 BST 2009

El dt 29 de 09 de 2009 a les 22:11 +0300, en/na Adi Roiban va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I will try to make a first step to improve the way we make use of the
> templates priority in the Ubuntu templates list[1]

Thanks for starting this Adi!

> For the beginning I think we should define debian-installer and co as
> top priority. They have a shorter deadline and are the first apps a user
> get in contact with.

I believe it depends on the user, though. If you are using a computer
with Ubuntu at a school or a public institution, the user will not have
installed the system, so he/she won't have seen the installer.

But I think it is a good starting point. We should get started and
perhaps refine the details later on.

> Second in priority we should have the Ubuntu specific templates and
> templated modified in Ubuntu and not available for translation upstream.
>
> In this way we should make templates available for translation upstream
> less important and reduce the change of chance of new translators
> working in Launchpad without contacting the upstream team.

I agree. We should also put some thought in the rest of the priorities.
I'm listing them here in no particular order, just as categories as food
for thought, and I'm sure other people can think of other ones:

Templates in the default installation
Ubuntu or Kubuntu specific templates
GNOME/KDE
Documentation
Command line applications (they should have a much lower priority,
unless we know that some of the strings are used in UI frontends)

> We try to keep track of them here
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/UbuntuSpecificTranslations
>
> What do you say? Is this a good or a bad idea?

I think it's a brilliant idea :-)

I'm attaching something which might be helpful to start with: a list of
the translation templates of the default Ubuntu installation with the
corresponding source packages. I think these are the most important ones
to translate, as they are the ones included in all Ubuntu installations
by default (*). It is a subset of ca. 550 templates from the total list
of ca. 1600 templates in Launchpad. There is also another file I'm
attaching with a hand-made list of CLI applications from the list.

Rather than setting all priorities by hand, do you think we could
benefit of a collaborative effort? We could for example put this list in
the wiki or create a spreadsheet out of it, where all translators could
work on setting the priorities.

We could then send the finished list to the Launchpad Translations team,
who could mass-set the priorities. Note that we should try to keep these
mass settings to a minimum (it should probably be a one-time effort), so
that we can set the most priorities at once like this and then do the
refinements through the web UI.

Let me know if that's helpful and what you guys think.

(*) Note that this does not include the debian-installer, ubiquity and
ubiquity-slideshow templates, which would have to be manually added to
the list.

david(dot)planella(at)ubuntu(dot)com
www.ubuntu.com