Codenames for versions

Kenneth Nielsen k.nielsen81 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 15:04:19 BST 2009

2009/9/18 Tom Davies <tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi :)
>
> There are many places where the codename of a release is used in Answers
> Section and in the Community Documentation and even (i think) in the
> official guides.  Many noobs get all "confused about the numbers after the
> decimal".

I have, more than once, had the exact oposite experience, where the
fact the codenames are so readily used in support have made users
confused about exactly what jaunty is and so on

>  Also there seems to be some cnfusion about whether this 9.10
> release is Kosmic or Karmic, although that might just be people having fun
> with it.
>
> I think it is worh avoiding using anything that restricts a translation down
> to a single release but in some cases it is, of course, vital.
>
> Just my opinion but the codenames seem to be more user-friendly to a high
> percentage of people/noobs.

I disagree. People are used to thinking about different iterations of
software in terms of version numbers. We really should not deviate
from that practice. Besides, you really only need to mention it once
to each user how the versionnumbers works and then they get it.

Regards Kenneth Nielsen