Karmic: Missing many .mo files - desktop almost untranslated

Ricardo Pérez López ricardo at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 5 10:22:23 UTC 2009

The latests Karmic updates renders my desktop almost untranslated - e.g.
the GNOME main menu, many of its entries, and many important
applications like Gnome Terminal or The GIMP shows untranslated in my
Spanish desktop.

Looking deeper, I just realized that there're many missing .mo files
under /usr/share/locale-langpack/es/LC_MESSAGES/ (including
gnome-terminal.mo and gimp*.mo).

Seems to be a problem in the language pack generation process.

Anybody can confirm this issue?

Greetings,

Ricardo.