Getting some languages over the 80% complete level

Arne Goetje arne.goetje at canonical.com
Fri Oct 2 00:52:18 UTC 2009

Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> Hi David. Thanks for your answers and the link to the OOo document.
>
> 2009/10/1 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
>> As you can see, it is a complex
>> process, and for anything not addressed there, feel free to ask here as
>> usual.
>
> Well, at least this helpcontent2-* part which I was talking about.
> "the imports are working for Karmic" does not seem to be true in case
> of those. See eg.
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+lang/fi/+index?start=743&batch=50
> - openoffice.org-help-fi is new in Debian/Ubuntu OOo 3.1 packages and
> is pretty complete as is, shipped in Ubuntu. However, in Launchpad
> it's not shown at all while its of tens of thousands of strings. Quite
> a few other languages have had those imported to Launchpad at some
> point at least.

Unfortunately the import regarding oo.o is not as straightforward as for
applications which use gettext, so there may be some errors in the
process. Another reason why templates and/or translations are not
imported into Rosetta automatically is, that they are named in an
awkward way that Rosetta cannot autodetect or are simply at the wrong
location in the package. I recently filed a bug for oo.o regarding
ooo-build translations, where we have such a case.

I'm afraid to say, that many import issues (or lacking import) are due
to buggy packaging, using awkward filenames, wrong location for the
files or buggy .po files which don't get past our import parser.
Have a look at the import queue and you know what I'm talking about. ;)

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+imports?field.filter_status=NEEDS_REVIEW&field.filter_extension=all
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+imports?field.filter_status=FAILED&field.filter_extension=all

Therefor, if you find any oddities, please file a bug against the
'ubuntu-translations' project or report the issue on this mailing list,
so that we can take a look at it.

Thanks a lot
Arne