Translation status for Ubuntu Start Page

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 22 07:35:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> În data de Sb, 21-03-2009 la 14:32 +0000, Matthew East a scris:
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>> > We will also need to import this page into Launchpad:
>> > file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html
>> >
>> > We already home some translations for this page, but I thing it still
>> > needs some love :)
>>
>> I'd actually like to get rid of this page entirely in the next
>> release. People who open their browser with the internet not working
>> should get a screen which tells them that they aren't connected, not a
>> screen which gives them the impression that they are connected.
>> Firefox now has quite a graceful and informative "offline" page, so
>> that can replace the offline startpage, in my opinion.
> Yes, but this is the start page, not the offline page.

Sorry, I don't understand. The file you have quoted above
(///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/index.html *is* the offline page.

> Meanwhile we could look at the current status of localized version of
> help.ubuntu.com. Also help the teams in setting up their own version, so
> that we could include the link in the next release.

That's more of a subject for another thread, but I know that you've
already seen my view on this here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2009-March/012470.html

I agree that helping teams to set up their own version of
help.ubuntu.com on local websites is a good goal - actually it's
surprisingly easy so we could easily write a short howto about it.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org