Ubuntu Dutch translation team is closed. Solutions?

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Fri Mar 20 20:20:45 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 18:05 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On vr, 2009-03-20 at 10:39 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Via the following question :
> > > https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+question/64194
> > > I found out that the Ubuntu Dutch translation team is somehow closed and
> > > is asking new translators to work upstream.
> >
> > This, if true, is extremely worrying. The Dutch translation team
> > contains many experienced contributors to Ubuntu (I've copied some of
> > them into this email) and I don't think they would intentionally wish
> > to subvert one of the fundamental policies of Ubuntu (making the
> > software available in the user's own language) for Dutch speakers.
> > Clearly there are a lot of Ubuntu-specific strings, and Ubuntu
> > documentation is only translatable through Launchpad, so an active
> > translation team for Ubuntu in Launchpad is absolutely essential.
> >
> > Let's find out what the problem is, if any, and take it from there.
>
> The team is not closed, but due to lots of quality issues we had in the
> past, we're not accepting just anyone. Jeroen calls the problem legacy,
> but it has been fixed only very recently in launchpad after waiting and
> complaining for years.
>
> On the ubuntu-nl forum thread quoted in that question it is also
> explained that until we as a team have proper procedures for this, the
> team stays closed as we don't want this happening again. The Danish team
> are doing the same apparently.
>
> If someone show he knows how to handle translations, (eg, don't touch
> upstreams in LP if they accept po files as well), sure he's welcome.

Thank you all for your help. This problem is solved :).

Also some of the upstream import problems should be now fixed in
Rosetta.

As far as I understand the team is not closed, it's only that new
memberships is moderated and new translators should prove they know how
to deal with translations in Ubuntu.

I agree with you! Keep up the good work!
--
Adi Roiban