Upstream projects (Mozilla) and Ubuntu

Arne Goetje arne.goetje at canonical.com
Tue Jun 16 01:45:37 BST 2009

CC: Alexander Sack, the Mozilla maintainer for Ubuntu

Hung. NGUYEN Manh wrote:
> As you may know, FF 3.5 is going to be released very soon. At the
> same time, it will include the first official Vietnamese version.
> However, on Launchpad, some guys have already translated the
> "firefox-3.0" package for Jaunty. So:
>
> 1) When FF 3.5 is out, will Canonical retrieve the official
> translations or will they use the existing LP translations for the
> upcoming Karmic?

We use the official Mozilla translations for both, Firefox-3.0 and 3.5.
Those two versions will co-exist in LP and the language-packs.
The Firefox and Xulrunner translations, which only exist in LP, are not
used, unless they have been completed, reviewed, approved and
whitelisted. Hence the vi translations for Firefox-3.0 and Xulrunner-1.9
in LP are not used.

> 2) If it is the former, will Canonical do that automatically, or
> should I file a bug or notify someone? (Do they have an automatic
> script which detects if new localized versions are available, or is
> there some person who will manually watch all the time?)

I will import those XPIs manually whenever a new Mozilla release comes
out. For this I download all XPIs from upstream and batch-upload them
into LP. I get a note whenever a new minor release gets uploaded into
ubuntu and then pull the XPIs from upstream.

> 3) Because of limited resources, we don't want people to step on foot
> of one another. The Mozilla-vi team also don't use .po files for
> translating. So, at least for FF, may we ask to disable the "firefox"
> package for vi on LP?
>
> Or... could you just please advise us the best way to do?

Unfortunately we don't have any possibility to block selected templates
for selected languages. Therefor for Firefox and Xulrunner, we use a
blacklist and a whitelist. Per default, all languages for which we have
upstream XPI files get whitelisted, all others get blacklisted.

Maybe Alexander can explain the manual process of whitelisting
additional languages.

So, if you want to provide official translations also for
Firefox-3.0/Xulrunner-1.9, the Mozilla-vi team would need to produce a
official XPI, then we can import that one for Karmic. Otherwise only the
official 3.5 XPI will be available for Vietnamese.

Hope that helps :)
Cheers
Arne