Degree of trust and quality for Ubuntu Localization Teams

Kenneth Nielsen k.nielsen81 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:33:44 UTC 2009

Hallo everybody

Even though I am in the process of handing of coordination of the
Danish team I thoungth I would chip in.

Regards the number of existing open teams. This could be dealt with
easily, but also perhaps not so nicely by simply deciding that
henceforth there are no open translation teams, all new ones must be
created as something else and all old ones must be changed. The first
contact the team, and if no one replies, simply make the team non-open
and clear out the list of members (after all if no one replies, they
are probably not active anyway). Nomatter how we deal with existing
team, I am a string proponent for having it as a rule that translation
teams cannot be open.

> I like the idea mentioned in this thread about exploring the model used
> for LoCo teams: having a set of 'approved' translation teams in order to
> have a list with those certified with having a proven quality track.
> This would also encourage 'unapproved' teams to aim for 'approved'
> status by following a set of guidelines to improve quality.
>
>      * What does being an 'approved' translation team mean in practical
>        terms (apart from proven quality in translations)?
>              * Would they be listed as 'approved' in Launchpad?
>              * Should e.g. language packs only be released for approved
>                teams (I don't think this would be necessary)?
>              * Other...

I like this idea, but not unconditionally. I would have to be so, that
team that are actually doing it rigth, can get through this process
with minimal workeffort, so that we don't overburden new coordinators.
Second, if we do go ahead and do this thing. I definitely think we
should make it so that language pack are only sent out for approved
team. Having bad translations, perhaps due to bad coordination, can
give ordinary people a bad impression of Ubuntu, before they even
start using it, so I think that would be an appropriate measure to try
and ensure quality.

Regards Kenneth Nielsen