How to revert to upstream translations

Jeroen Vermeulen jtv at canonical.com
Mon Jan 19 09:37:14 UTC 2009

Milo Casagrande wrote:

> I just quote from last Danilo message regarding this aspect:
>
>> Launchpad Translations has changed the translation precedence policy
>> with the December release: now upstream ("packaged") translations will
>> be given more priority in specific cases. Yet, Launchpad Translations
>> keeps the ability to override any specific upstream translation if so
>> is
>> desired.

Thanks Milo for bringing this quote in.  To be clear:

1. If the currently selected translation for a message in Launchpad is
the one that was last imported from upstream, then that message will
"track" upstream.  So if a later import from upstream changes the
translation, Launchpad will also use that new translation.  This has
always(1) been the case.

2. If the Ubuntu translation team has chosen to diverge from the
upstream translation, then the translation in Launchpad overrides the
upstream translation.  It continues doing so until either the Ubuntu
translation or upstream decides to use the same text as the other.
That's why translation teams should do this only if the upstream
translation is buggy, or requires an Ubuntu-specific translation
different from the upstream one.  Launchpad/Rosetta has no way of
guessing the team's reasons.  For the "buggy" case, of course the
translation team would do well to report to upstream.

3. The situation Danilo is referring to is this one: upstream does not
translate a particular message, but Launchpad does.  Then, upstream does
add a translation of its own for that message, and the new translation
is imported.  In this case Launchpad does guess the reason why it had a
different translation than upstream: because upstream didn't have one.
And so it switches to tracking the upstream translation in this case.

It's this last part that's new(2).

Jeroen

(1) Well, I happen to know it wasn't the case during the late
Pleistocean, for example, but grant me some artistic license here.
(2) To put this in perspective: the late Pleistocean is very old.  This
feature came more sort of late 2008-ish.