Lost translations from ubuntu-docs

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Thu Oct 16 14:59:12 UTC 2008

Hi David,

У сре, 15. 10 2008. у 20:12 +0200, David Planella пише:

> I'd like to report a problem which I believe has to do with the
> importation of the new documentation templates:
>
> Three days ago I finished the translation of add-applications directly
> in Rosetta, and I send an e-mail to our team list indicating the
> changed strings for proof-checking. I've jst been made aware that
> those translated strings are untranslated as of today, so it seems
> that they somehow got lost (they do not appear on the downloaded PO
> file). Now I haven't been tracking when the new templates finally
> landed in Rosetta, but this seems to me that something went wrong in
> the importation.

We have recently stopped importing fuzzy messages from gettext in
Launchpad Translations. However, these messages are still available in
Launchpad as "obsolete" messages, so a workaround for you (and those in
similar situations) is to download a PO file, and then use standard
gettext tools (eg. msgmerge) to reuse them (or tools with a better
similarity matching than gettext's, which is really bad).

> Unfortunately, I haven't got a local copy of those translations, so
> I'll have to translate them all again.

Just follow the procedure above, or download them from eg. Hardy series
(or ubuntu-docs source code repository).  This should give you complete
translations, and you should be able to update these manually.

> Could someone please have a look at it or confirm it? I reported
> something similar a couple of days ago [1] (on the last paragraphs),
> also for ubuntu-docs and debian-installer.

The plan is to implement

 https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+spec/rosetta-fuzzy-merge

which will provide better support for this.  gettext fuzzy matching is
in general pretty bad, and has caused a lot of confusion in our UI in
the past.

Until that point, you should use tricks like above to reuse previous
translations. I am sorry this is causing you so many problems, but I
believe this is only going to affect specific modules like ubuntu-docs
(and other documentation).

Cheers,
Danilo