Lost translations from ubuntu-docs

David Planella david.planella at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 15 22:07:46 BST 2008

Hi Matthew,

2008/10/15 Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>:
> I don't think so myself - the strings, while similar, are genuinely
> different and it's wholly undesirable for Rosetta to preserve
> inaccurate translations. Even a slight change to the original English
> could make a big difference to the meaning.

Not all strings were so much different. I can see the point in your
example, but even in this case the gettext tools do a good job of
suggesting fuzzy strings, especially on long ones. And as a
translator, even if the fuzzy translation is not nearly identical to
the original msgid, on most cases you can reuse part of the suggested

In any case though, the second link I was pointing out on my original
message[1] refers to this string, on which simply the <application>
tag was removed on the new template.

#: add-applications/C/add-applications.xml:25(para)
msgid "<link linkend=\"gnome-app-install\"><application>Add/Remove
Applications</application></link> - Quickly installs and removes
popular programs, as well as providing ratings."

#: add-applications/C/add-applications.xml:34(para)
msgid "<link linkend=\"gnome-app-install\">Add/Remove
Applications</link> - Quickly installs and removes popular programs,
as well as providing ratings."

I can also see the point of not showing the original (old) translation
on the UI as a suggestion (I guess you cannot always make sure that a
fuzzy string is relevant), but at least I would have expected to see a
fuzzy string in the downloaded PO file, especially when the strings
are nearly identical.

You just have to think that for a translator it is really confusing to
have translated a string which after a couple of days suddenly becomes
untranslated. Both strings are nearly identical, so you start to
think: did I really do it :) ? And as a GNOME translator, as many
other on this list, I am used to be able to reuse strings.

Finally, here's another example of a template that has been imported
in the last few days (from bluez-gnome, I've just noticed it today):

Old msgid (Hardy) -> Pairing request for '%s'
New msgid (Intrepid) -> Pairing request for %s

The importation of the new template caused the translation of the
Hardy string to become untranslated in Intrepid.

Anyway, I do not know whether this is new behaviour, but even as a
long time user of Rosetta I have just noticed in the last few days,
and I think it can simply lead to a waste of work.


[1] https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/ubuntu-docs/+pots/add-applications/ca/21/+translate

More information about the ubuntu-translators mailing list