ubuntu-docs updates for translation into Intrepid

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 16 09:00:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv at canonical.com> wrote:
> The problem with importing templates long before their uploaded translations
> is the risk of redundant translation work.  It might sound like the sort of
> problem you'd like to have, but actually we've found that it generates some
> very painful problem patterns:

Ah, now I understand why we appear to be talking at cross purposes.
You're talking about importing templates which come in with upstream
imports (and which are therefore accompanied by upstream po files
which contain translations of the new strings). I'm talking about a
template which is changed in Ubuntu, and which therefore doesn't have
any upstream translations. In the case of ubuntu-docs, if I upload a
translation template, there are no translations of those new strings,
so there is no risk of redundant translation work. That's because
ubuntu-docs has no upstream translations: all translation is done in
Ubuntu.

I assume there is no way to detect whether a particular pot file in
the queue has strings which are not matched by the various po files in
the queue. So, would a way to improve the priorities be to prioritise
pot files which are uploaded *by hand* (as opposed to through Soyuz)
ahead of everything else, on the assumption that such pot files are
always going to contain strings which haven't been translated
anywhere?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org